PRIME: Health Equity Learning Labs for Non-Management & Management Staff
This second iteration of the Health Equity Learning Labs was developed and facilitated in partnership with the Michigan Public Health Institute and Ingham County Health Department. It was piloted with the Children’s Special Health Care Services Division in 2014. This series is different from the first Learning Labs piloted with WIC in three key ways:
1. It spends less time on health equity concepts covered the in Health Equity & Social Justice workshop staff previously attended
2. Offered as separate sessions for non-management and management staff
3. Shortened total hours of training
Format and Content
The separate Learning Labs include several common elements and certain differences by staff type. The version for non-management staff includes work on health equity action for the division plans. The version for management includes components on leadership style and structural considerations for supporting a health equity framework.
The two groups meet separately for the majority of the Learning Lab, but meet together for the final session. For lesson details, see page 70 of the PRIME Guide for Public Health Professionals.
Non-Management Staff: Five sessions held once a month for a total of 15 hours of training
Management Staff: Four sessions held once a month for a total of 11 hours of training.
Evaluation Process and Findings
Participants showed increases in several competencies in both groups. For details, see the complete PRIME Guide for Public Health Professionals and survey tools for non-management and survey tools for management staff.
Lessons Learned -
- Determine the best timeline for offering the learning labs after staff have participated in an initial foundational equity training such as the Health Equity & Social Justice Workshop.
- Consider building in a process of peer accountability among management staff as they develop their equity plans.
- It may be helpful to have management and non-management staff interact at times over the course of the sessions to provide input to each other on the feasibility of their equity action plans.