- Michigan Health Equity Status Report, 2013, Michigan Department of Community Health (PDF)
This status report presents data for 14 indicators related to the social context in which women and children live. These data provide a snapshot of the non-biological factors that contribute to Michigan’s inequities in maternal and child health.
A New Way to Talk About the Social Determinants of Health, 2010, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (PDF).
This report offers a new framework for talking about the social determinants of health that can resonate with policy-makers. It provides a framework for talking about the topic in a way that people can understand, that is meaningful, and that doesn’t align the topic with any existing political perspective or agenda.
The Economic Burden of Health Inequities in the United States, 2009, Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies (PDF).
This study, commissioned by the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies and carried out by leading researchers from
Johns Hopkins University and the University of Maryland, provides important insight into how much of a financial burden racial
disparities are putting on our health care system and society at large.
- IOM Unequal Treatment Report (PDF)
Summary – Read for free (PDF)
Explores racial and ethnic disparities in health care services, as well as the potential sources of these disparities.
- Michigan Department of Community Health (2010). Michigan Health Equity Roadmap (PDF)
A vision and framework for improving the social and health status of racial and ethnic populations in Michigan.
- Addressing the Crisis in Black Infant Mortality from the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies Health Policy Institute, Washington D.C.
Explores disparities in infant mortality and how these disparities can potentially be addressed.
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials. (2011). Health Equity. http://www.astho.org/Programs/Health-Equity/
ASTHO provides information and resources to state health officials on health equity and health disparities issues, including resources on the economic case for health equity, health equity case studies, maternal and infant disparities, and state stories.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2011). Factsheet – CDC Health Disparities and Inequalities Report, 2011. http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/other/su6001.pdf
The first in a periodic series of reports examining disparities in selected social and health indicators
- Taking the First Steps: Experiences of Six Community/State Teams Addressing Racism's Impacts on Infant Mortality. Omaha, NE: CityMatCH at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. CityMatCH, AMCHP, NHSA. (2011).
Team Profiles from the Infant Mortality and Racism Action Learning Collaborative, a project of the Partnership to Eliminate Disparities in Infant Mortality
The Partnership to Eliminate Disparities in Infant Mortality (PDF). Omaha, NE: CityMatCH at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. CityMatCH, AMCHP, NHSA. (April 2013). Profiles of the second Action Learning Collaborative in Addressing the Impact of Racism on Birth Outcomes
- Department of Health and Human Services. (2011). HHS Action Plan to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities: A Nation Free of Disparities in Health and Health Care. http://minorityhealth.hhs.gov/npa/files/Plans/HHS/HHS_Plan_complete.pdf
- Department of Health and Human Services. (2011). The National Prevention Strategy: America's Plan for Better Health and Wellness. http://www.healthcare.gov/news/factsheets/2011/06/prevention06162011a.html
The National Prevention Strategy encourages partnerships among Federal, state, tribal, local, and territorial governments; business, industry, and other private sector partners; philanthropic organizations; community and faith-based organizations; and everyday Americans to improve health through prevention.